French Sipping Chocolate Recipe With an Aztec Twist
Add the certainty of happiness to your day when you indulge the sweet, harmless temptation of this sipping chocolate recipe.
Reach past the plain instant packets and get real ingredients for a sipping chocolate recipe.
The richness of European chocolate, combined with the mild spice of chili powder that lingers on your tongue, provides an intense chocolate experience like no other.
Our French sipping chocolate recipe with an Aztec twist is inspired by the movie Chocolat. Pour the thick, fragrant mixture from a pot straight into a cup whenever you’re dreaming of a small comfort, or whip this up when you want to indulge your loved ones with a sweet, harmless temptation.
How to select ingredients for sipping chocolate
- Chocolate: Select a tablet that is 60-75% dark. Ideally, the only ingredients on the back will be cacao and cacao butter. We know these can be tricky to find, so we recommend taking home whichever tablet has the least ingredients or additives.
- Milk: Yes, the base for this decadent recipe must be milk — preferably whole milk. If you need to skip dairy, use a plant-based alternative like cashew, almond, coconut, or oat milk. Make sure there’s only water and nuts/grains in that carton!
- Heavy cream: A little goes a long way. Its rich consistency brings together the thin milk and the thick chocolate for a balanced texture. You may also substitute this ingredient with a plant-based option.
- Chili powder: If you can’t find a brand without extra spices like onion or garlic, substitute with paprika or cayenne pepper.
- Vanilla: In a perfect world, you will use dried vanilla beans. But, pure vanilla extract will taste perfectly delicious too.
- Toppings: Absolutely anything that will add to your cup of happiness. Sprinkle cinnamon on top of a luscious whipped-cream swirl. Slip tiny marshmallows amid a whirl of caramel or cherry sauce.
Sipping Chocolate Recipe
8 oz dark chocolate (60-75% cacao)
1 cup whole milk
¼ cup heavy cream
½ dry vanilla bean or 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1½ tsp sugar
1 pinch chili pepper powder
Optional toppings: whipped cream, cinnamon powder, tiny marshmallows, caramel sauce, cherry sauce, chocolate sauce, shaved chocolate
1. Heat the milk and heavy cream on medium heat, stirring constantly.
2. When small bubbles appear on top, remove the milk from heat.
3. Chop the chocolate into small cubes and whisk into the milk until fully melted.
4. Fill a cup halfway with hot chocolate. It’s very rich!
5. Add your favorite toppings.
Note: The hot chocolate will continue to thicken as it cools. To liquify it again, add two tablespoons of milk at a time.
Clink to the small pleasures in life with a comforting cup of French hot chocolate. A pinch of chili powder will add an Aztec twist for an invigorating experience. Make the most of this sipping chocolate recipe by sharing a cup with your loved ones!