The Definitive Guide to Sporty Style and Athleisure
Sporty style maximizes comfort while maintaining a well-put-together look. Here’s the definitive guide to this trend!
Summer is just around the corner and that means it’s time to break out your sporty style!
Active wear, gym clothing, and sportswear don’t have to be reserved for workouts. These styles can be chic, casual, and keep you comfortable.
Sporty style, athleisure, and activewear blend elements from the gym and casual styles to create a comfortably chic look. These outfits and pieces don’t have to be reserved for the gym. You can utilize this guide to enhance your wardrobe, whether you’re feminine, masculine, or somewhere in-between.
What are sporty styles and athleisure?
Casual and comfortable fits have taken control of the fashion industry over the years. Lest we forget, the global pandemic had us all searching for comfortable pieces to WFH in. That's where sporty styles and athleisure garments come into play.
These styles combine athletic clothing meant for the gym with comfortable, casual, and low-key cuts. Sportswear and athleisure provide versatility, minimalistic designs, and outfits you can wear anywhere.
Although these tips aren't set in stone, there are some general guidelines for the sporty aesthetic. Here are the basics:
- Comfort: Comfort is the name of the game when it comes to these styles. A good sporty look will have you looking put-together while remaining casual. With these looks, you should be able to fit in anywhere, from the gym to the grocery store, or even the café. Be sure to find pieces you think are comfortable and easy to wear.
- Snug fits and oversized pieces: One of the ways sporty style and athleisure stands apart is by pairing tight-fitting cuts with oversized pieces. Imagine a baggy tee with body-hugging yoga pants, or vice-versa. The large garment is meant to keep you looking casual and approachable, while the tighter elements enhance the outfit. You can also reverse this approach with baggy pants and a tight, cropped tee.
- Technical fabrics and branded garments: These aesthetics bring brand logos and technical materials to center stage. Common sportswear brands such as Nike and Adidas are often showcased. However, overdoing it can take away from the overall casual nature of the fits. Be sure to find your balance within the trend.
- Minimalism: The defining feature of these looks are minimalist aesthetics. Clean-cut clothing and simple silhouettes are must-haves. Bright color palettes and bold prints can take away from the casual nature of these outfits. Prioritize blacks, navy blues, grays, or other neutral-toned pieces before adding bright colors.
Where to shop
There are multiple sportswear and athleisure brands you can choose from. Any of the big names can work, like Champion, Reebok, or even Nordstrom. The key is to find pieces that comfortably fit your figure. Here are some more brands for inspiration:
Athleisure and sporty looks can elevate your wardrobe — you'll have a high-functioning closet with staple pieces you can easily throw together.
- Sweatpants and joggers: Sweatpants and joggers are some staple pieces for men's styles. Shorts with shorter in-seams are excellent choices for the hotter months. Look for slim-fitting and tapered cuts, as opposed to baggy sweats. These cuts will elevate your overall look while maintaining that "just left the gym" vibe.
- Sneakers: Sneakers are where you can express more of your creativity. Consider classic running shoes if you don't know where to begin. You can opt for more casual kicks like canvas low-tops, as well. Avoid wearing athletic slides, as they can deter from the aesthetic.
- Tops: Sticking to basic t-shirts and sweatshirts is an easy way to streamline your wardrobe. You can pair a few casual collared tops, but try and opt for technical fabrics. Avoid wearing your old gym shirt, as you'll look less put-together. Look for well-fitted silhouettes in primary colors for versatility.
- Outerwear: Bomber jackets, fleece zip-ups, and track jackets can pull your look together. Utilize basic hoodies and pullovers for days when you want more comfort. Opt for more technical fabrics and cuts to streamline the aesthetic. Consider splurging here, as a well-made jacket can last for years.
Having a few sporty pieces in your wardrobe can give you that "fresh out of the gym" look while keeping you comfortable. Whether you're hitting the gym or doing yoga, adding some athleisure pieces will have you looking effortlessly put-together.
- Leggings, sweats, and joggers: It's no surprise that leggings are a staple of sporty styles. Look for pieces that you can use all day without worrying about wear and tear. Joggers, sweatpants, and biker shorts are other staples to include in your wardrobe.
- Sneakers: Sneakers are a must-have for casual and sporty looks. You can opt for classic running shoes for simplicity. Consider adding splashes of color and patterns to personalize your outfit.
- Oversized tees and sports bras: Oversized and technical tees add a casual flair to your outfit. Be sure to pair these with a tighter-fitting bottom to complete the look. Sports bras are other staples you can include in your closet for ease of access and versatility.
- Accessories: Using accessories can enhance your athleisure and sporty fits. Consider dad hats, sunglasses, sports bags, or fitness bracelets to accentuate the "just got out of the gym" vibe.
Sporty style is a fashion trend that isn't leaving anytime soon. The aesthetic focuses on comfort and functionality first. Adding a few pieces into your closet can streamline your wardrobe, resulting in more cohesive looks.
Tired from hitting the gym? Try an at-home massage with the MOBILESTYLES App today! Download the app at https://mobilestyles.com/download.