DIY Healthy Frozen Dinner Meal Ideas
Put away the Stouffers and check out these healthy frozen dinner meal ideas.
Have a frozen dinner meal that is delicious and healthy.
Life gets busy, and some days you just don’t want to take the effort and time to make dinner — that’s where frozen meals come in handy. However, so many of these simple meals are full of preservatives, additives, sodium, and other unhealthy ingredients. You don’t have to stick to these unhealthy eats. Instead, here are some healthy frozen dinner meal ideas you’ll want to check out.
Let’s get to cooking!
Wild rice soup
With the cooler months approaching, it is always nice to have an easy soup recipe like this one to warm you up!
Ingredients to freeze:
- 3 cups mirepoix, fresh or frozen
- 8 oz mushrooms, fresh or frozen
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice (the REAL stuff, not a blend)
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning (or spices like sage, thyme, and rosemary)
- 1 lb chicken breast (optional)
Add once you start cooking:
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- Remove the frozen portion of the ingredients and cook for 30 minutes on high pressure + 10 minutes on natural release in an instant pot, or four hours on high in a crock pot.
- Melt the butter, then mix in the flour and milk until smooth and thick. Pour into the soup. Thin with additional water to get the required consistency.
- Serve hot.
Sweet-and-sour beef stew
This hearty stew recipe is perfect for any busy family! It makes a ton, so you’ll definitely have leftovers.
- 2 lbs beef top round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup canned pineapple chunks, drained
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- Brown meat in batches in a large pan with oil; drain. Place in a 4-quart or 5-quart slow cooker.
- Combine the tomato sauce, onions, carrots, green pepper, pineapple, vinegar, brown sugar, corn syrup, chili powder, paprika, and salt in a large mixing bowl; pour over the meat.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or until the meat is cooked. If preferred, serve with rice.
- The cooled stew should be frozen in freezer containers.
- When ready to eat, partially thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
- Heat thoroughly in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add broth or water if necessary.
Do you love Indian or Asian cuisine? If so, you’ll love this easy recipe!
Ingredients to freeze:
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 Tbsp garam masala
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 14-oz can of coconut milk
- Remove from the freezer and cook for 15 minutes on high pressure + 20 minutes on natural release in an instant pot, or four hours on high in a crock pot.
- Serve with rice bowls, roasted veggies, cauliflower rice, or fusion tacos or burritos.
Want a vegetarian-friendly frozen meal? Then, check out this recipe.
- 2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- Cook the rice according to the package instructions. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Cook and stir for 3-4 minutes, or until the onion is soft.
- Bring chickpeas, tomatoes, broth, pepper flakes, and pepper to a boil in a saucepan.
- Reduce heat to low and cover for 10 minutes to allow flavors to meld.
- Uncover and continue to cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the liquid has somewhat reduced, stirring periodically.
- Stir in the lemon zest and juice. Serve over rice.
- Wait till later to make the rice. The cooled chickpea mixture should be frozen in freezer containers.
- When ready to consume, defrost slightly in the refrigerator overnight.
- In a saucepan, heat thoroughly, stirring periodically and adding a little broth if required.
- Serve over rice.
Which one of these frozen dinner meal ideas is calling your name? Do you perhaps have even more recipes for us to try out? MOBILESTYLES wants to see what you can make! Shoot us an image of your meals on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter. Our mouths are already drooling.